Pre-arrival: visa, residence permit and insurance


1. Citizens of the following countries enter Hungary without visa: countries of EU and EEA (European Economic Area). Students from these countries must report their address and apply for the registration certificate in Hungary after getting registered at school.

2. Students arriving form Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Guatemala, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zeeland, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Republic of Korea, Salvador, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, Uruguay, USA and Venezuela must apply for the residence permit within 30 days after arrival.

3. Citizens of other countries must apply for a resident visa for study purposes at the nearest Hungarian Embassy or Consulate. For more information, please contact our embassy /consulate and the web site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Hungary.

Students from these countries must obtain the residence permit within 30 days after arrival.


You can apply for a visa only in case your passport is valid for 3 months after your planned arrival date in Hungary. In certain countries where new passport formats have been approved, you can only travel abroad with a biometric passport.


You must submit your ticket reservation with your visa application (usually it is a written confirmation received from your travel agent). Please make sure your visa is requested for your actual travel dates and is valid for the duration of your stay in Hungary. The ticket must be a return-date ticket (either an "open" ticket or one with a fixed return-date). It is important to note that one-way tickets might not be accepted for visa purposes. In case no Hungarian Embassy has been set up in your country, you should check which Schengen country has an embassy in your neighbourhood that issues a visa in the name of Hungary.


Once you have arrived in Hungary, you will need to apply for a residence permit at the Office of Immigration and Nationality. The application for residence permit can be submitted in person, not later than 30 days before the expiry of your legal stay, at the local aliens policing authority competent for the area of your accommodation. One passport-size photograph has to be affixed to the application form. The applicant must present his/her valid passport when submitting the application form. The passport should be valid at least three more months than the duration of the residence permitted.

Contact the Office of Immigration and Nationality for further information.


You are requested to obtain your medical and travel insurance BEFORE departing.

We highly recommend you to arrange for the European Health Care Card which can be used for health issues of emergency.

It is also very good if you can arrange for a normal health care insurance for any other health issues with which you would consult a general practitioner.